It is essential to have the right lighting when reading in order to minimize strain on your eyes. I’ve got the list for you.
Are you a bookworm who loves to get lost in the pages of a captivating story? There’s nothing quite like the feeling of being fully immersed in a good book. But sometimes, finding the perfect reading light can be a challenge. That’s where we come in.
In this article, we’ve curated a list of the top 10 reading lights that will illuminate your reading experience like never before. Whether you prefer a traditional clip-on light or a sleek and modern floor lamp, we’ve got you covered.
Not only will these best book lights provide the perfect amount of illumination for your reading sessions, but they also come with a range of features to enhance your comfort and convenience.
I rated these lights on the following:
- Number of reviews
- Type of light
- Portable or stationary
So, grab your favorite novel and get ready to illuminate your reading experience with our top 10 picks.
The Importance of a Good Reading Light
When it comes to reading, lighting plays a crucial role in creating the optimal reading experience. A good reading light not only illuminates the pages of your book but also reduces eye strain and fatigue.
Poor lighting can cause discomfort, hinder your reading speed, and even affect your comprehension. That’s why investing in a high-quality reading light is essential for every bookworm.
One of the key factors to consider when choosing a reading light is the brightness level. Too dim, and you’ll strain your eyes trying to read the words. Too bright, and you’ll risk getting a headache or disturbing others around you. Finding the right balance is crucial for a comfortable reading experience.
Additionally, the color temperature of the light can also impact your reading experience. Cooler color temperatures, such as daylight or cool white, are ideal for reading as they mimic natural sunlight and provide better contrast. Warm white or soft white lights, on the other hand, create a cozy ambiance but may not be as suitable for extended reading sessions.
Another important consideration is the positioning and adjustability of the light. The light should be adjustable to accommodate different reading positions, whether you like to read in bed, on a couch, or at a desk. Flexible necks or goosenecks are ideal for directing the light exactly where you need it without disturbing others. Furthermore, the size and weight of the reading light should be taken into account, especially if you plan on using it for travel or reading on the go.
What is a reading light?
A reading light can be categorized as either the type of light coming from a lamp or the type of lamp used to read. For example, some lamps have specific light bulbs designed for reading and others are smaller book lights that clip onto a desk or even onto the book.
Types of Reading Lights Available
Reading lights come in various types, each offering its own set of advantages and disadvantages. The most common types include clip-on lights, floor lamps, table lamps, wall-mounted lights, and book lights.
Clip-on lights are versatile and can be attached to a variety of surfaces, such as headboards, shelves, or the pages of your book. They are compact and portable, making them a great option for travel or reading in different locations.
Clip-on lights often come with adjustable brightness settings and flexible necks, allowing you to position the light at the perfect angle.
Floor lamps are freestanding lights that provide ample illumination for larger reading areas, such as living rooms or home libraries. They come in a variety of styles and designs to suit different aesthetics. Some floor lamps also offer adjustable height and brightness settings, providing flexibility for your reading needs.
Table lamps are another popular choice for reading lights. They are typically placed on a bedside table or desk, providing localized illumination. Table lamps come in a wide range of styles and sizes to match your personal preferences and home decor. Some models even feature built-in USB ports or wireless charging pads, allowing you to conveniently charge your devices while reading.
Wall-mounted lights are a space-saving option that can be installed directly onto the wall. They are ideal for small reading nooks or areas with limited space. Wall-mounted lights often feature adjustable arms or swing arms, enabling you to position the light exactly where you need it without taking up valuable surface space.
Book lights, as the name suggests, are specifically designed for reading books. They are small, portable, and often have a clip or clamp that attaches directly to the pages of your book. Book lights are perfect for reading in bed or on the go, as they provide focused illumination without disturbing others.
Buying Guide – Find the Best Book Light
In order to find the best book light, you’ll need to consider your space. Do you have table space for a desk lamp or floor space for a floor lamp? Bigger lamps offer longevity but less portability. Do you have enough power supplies for all your electronics? If not, you can get a USB rechargeable book light.
Do you prefer nighttime reading or daytime reading? You’ll want an amber light for nighttime reading. If you read in bed, you might want a LED neck reading light that swivels. If you travel, check out a usb rechargeable book light. Consider the best book light for your space, and perhaps you’ll want two! I have 3-4 for different types of reading: travel, in bed, in the living room, and in my reading nook.
Brightness and Adjustability
A reading lamp’s light is essential to a pleasant reading experience and readability. Find a light that allows adjustable brightness to be selected according to your environment and personal preferences.
Several reading lamps feature color options and allow you to choose between warmer or cooler lighting for added convenience. Personally, I need my book light to have adjustable color temperature modes.
Battery Life and Power Source
Rechargeable lights can be economically and environmentally efficient, but ensure their battery life matches your reading preferences.
Disposable battery powered light bulbs are less eco-friendly but are designed to operate longer and reduce the frequency of battery replacement.
Reading Lights for Different Budgets
There are options available for every budget, from affordable clip-on lights to high-end designer lamps. It’s important to consider your budget and prioritize the features that are most important to you.
While some lights may have additional features like wireless charging or USB ports, others may focus solely on providing optimal lighting for reading. Determine your needs and budget, and you’ll be able to find a reading light that suits you perfectly.
The Top 10 Reading Lights for Bookworms
About: The Glocusent LED neck reading light has three color temperatures: yellow(3000K), warm white(4000K) and cool white(6000K). Great for reading in bed and perfect for travel! It is a rechargeable book light. I love this light!
- Number of reviews: 100,000 – 4.5 Stars!
- Price: $18.99
- Type of light: LED
- Power: USB rechargeable book light | 80 hour rechargeable battery
- Portable or stationary: Portable ergonomic design | Neck reading light
- Additional: 36-month warranty | No adapter
About: The Gritin 9 LED Rechargeable Book Light has adjustable brightness range between 20%-100% with the click of a button. It has 3 color temperature lighting modes. It is a rechargeable book light. I use this one! It’s great for reading in bed, and handy for travel!
- Number of reviews: 21,000 5-Star Reviews
- Price: $8.79
- Type of light: LED
- Portable or stationary: Portable with 80 hour long battery life on a single charge.
- Additional: 360° bendable goose neck reading light. The lowest brightness setting is 20%.
About: The Woputne Desk Clip on Desk Lamp comes with 10 Dimmable brightness levels. This reading lamp has 3 Light Modes. I also have this one on my work desk!
- Number of reviews: 5,000 – 4.5 Stars
- Price: $9.59
- Type of light: LED Desk light, wall plug-in
- Portable or stationary: Semi-portable book light, clip on
- Additional: Comes with cool light, warm light, and natural light settings.
About: The Dimunt LED Floor Lamp is perfect for readers with a reading nook. Dimunt floor lamp is guaranteed for 50000 hours, you don’t need to replace any bulb, and saves energy. Brightness levels adjust from 10%-100%. It’s a great reading lamp with many brightness settings.
- Number of reviews: 9,600 4.5-Star
- Price: $39.97
- Type of light: LED, wall plug
- Portable or stationary: Stationary
- Additional: Comes with a remote control. 1 hour timer
About: DEWENWILS USB Rechargeable Book Light comes in six different colors. It rotates in several different directions. It comes with a USB charger. Perfect for reading in bed. It comes with 3000K Warm White, and the LED light can be adjusted to 2 brightness levels (100%, 50%) with a button.
- Number of reviews: 18,000 4.5-Star
- Price: $8.99
- Type of light: LED rechargeable book light with 8 hour battery life
- Portable or stationary: Portable lightweight deisgn
- Additional: It has a compact design. You can use this book light as a bookmark or as a flashlight in a power outage.
About: The Koopala LED Wall Sconces, Wall Mounted Lamp is the perfect book light for readers who love style! This rechargeable book light can be mounted on the wall or placed somewhere convenient. 3 brightness levels.
- Number of reviews: 4,800 Reviews – 4.5-Stars
- Price: $23.99
- Type of light: LED
- Portable or stationary: Portable book light. Rechargeable book light with between 6-20 hours battery life.
- Additional: 360 degree reading lamp
7. Eye Candy Ultra Bright Full Page Magnifier and Book Light
About: Eye Candy Ultra Bright Full Page Magnifier and Book Light is a creative As-Seen-On-TV design. Eye Candy is multifunctional because you can use it as a bookmark, a magnifying glass, or a book light!
- Number of reviews: 2,800 reviews, 4-Star
- Price: $14.98
- Type of light: LED light. Dimmable.
- Portable or stationary: Portable, lightweight design
- Additional: Requires 3-AAA Batteries not included. Magnifies up to 300%
About: Vekkia Rechargeable 3000K LED Book Light is compact and lightweight but sturdy. It comes with a strong clip. It’s great for book lovers who read late.
- Number of reviews: 8,900 – 5-Star Reviews
- Price: $15.99
- Type of light: LED
- Portable or stationary: Portable, lightweight design
- Additional: Extra sturdy clamp
- Number of reviews: 400- 4.5 star
- Price: $19.99
- Type of light: LED neck light
- Portable or stationary: Portable. Perfect for travel. 3 brightness levels.
- Additional: Comfortable lightweight design.
About: Verilux SmartLight Full Spectrum LED Modern Floor Lamp comes with full spectrum light and 3 color settings. That means you can get the brightness of the sun or the warmth of an evening glow. It’s great for reducing eye strain.
- Number of reviews: 3,200, 4.5-Star
- Price: $69.99
- Type of light: Full spectrum with three brightness levels and three color temperatures.
- Portable or stationary: Stationary
- Additional: Sleek, modern design
Reading Lights for Different Reading Environments
Clip-on lights or book lights would be ideal as they provide localized illumination without disturbing your sleeping partner. On the other hand, if you have a dedicated reading nook or home library, a floor lamp or a table lamp would provide ample lighting for the entire area.
If you often find yourself reading in different locations, such as coffee shops or on public transportation, a portable and lightweight option without batteries like a book light or a clip-on light would be a convenient choice. This type of book light can easily be carried in your bag and clipped onto your book or tablet whenever you need them.
Reading Lights for Different Reading Preferences
Every bookworm has their own reading preferences, and different lighting conditions can enhance or detract from the reading experience. For those who enjoy reading in a cozy and dimly lit environment, warm white or soft white lights would create a comfortable ambiance.
On the other hand, if you prefer a bright and well-lit space, cooler temperatures and soft light like daylight or cool white lights would be more suitable.
Additionally, find a reading lamp that offer colors temperature adjustment, allowing you to switch between warm and cool lighting depending on your mood or preference. This feature can be particularly beneficial if you have multiple reading spaces with different color temperature modes or lighting conditions.
How to Properly Position and Adjust Your Reading Light
Once you’ve chosen the perfect reading light, it’s important to position and adjust it correctly to maximize its effectiveness. Here are some tips to help you achieve the optimal lighting setup:
1. Position the light on your non-dominant side: If you’re right-handed, place the light on your left side, and vice versa. This prevents shadows from interfering with your reading and reduces eye strain.
2. Adjust the height and angle: Position the light so that it shines directly onto the page without causing glare. The angle of the light should be slightly tilted downward for optimal illumination.
3. Experiment with different positions: Depending on your reading position and the type of light you’re using, you may need to adjust the position or angle of the light to find the most comfortable and effective setup. Flexibility is key when it comes to positioning your reading light.
4. Avoid direct light in your line of sight: Direct light shining into your eyes can cause discomfort and strain. Make the reader be sure to position the light in a way that it illuminates the page without directly shining into your eyes.
Additional Accessories to Enhance Your Reading Experience
In addition to a good reading light, there are many other lights and accessories that can enhance your overall reading experience. Here are some popular options:
1. Bookstands: Bookstands are useful for holding your book open and at the desired reading angle, allowing for hands-free reading. They come in a variety of designs and sizes to accommodate different book sizes and styles. I have this one!
2. Reading Glasses: If you find yourself straining to read the small print, reading glasses can provide the necessary magnification and improve your reading comfort. Consult an optometrist to determine the appropriate strength for your needs. Reading glasses are reasonably priced now!
3. Bookmarks: A bookmark not only helps you keep your place in a book but also adds a touch of personality to your reading experience. Choose a bookmark that reflects your interests or aesthetic preferences. I LOVE THESE!
4. Cozy Reading Blankets: A soft and cozy reading blanket can enhance the comfort of your reading sessions, especially during colder months. Choose a blanket that matches your reading nook or personal style. I have this one!
Conclusion: Find Your Perfect Reading Light
A good reading lamp is an essential companion for every bookworm. It not only illuminates the pages of your favorite novels but also enhances your reading comfort and reduces eye strain. The best book lights have adjustable color temperatures and brightness levels, in order to reduce eye strain. Clip on lights should have a sturdy clip base.
So, grab your favorite book, find a cozy spot, and let your reading light illuminate your way into the captivating world of literature.
I hope you enjoyed my top picks! Happy reading!
Is Book Light Good for Eyes?
Yes, book lights are good for your eyes as long as they are the right kind of light. Brightness levels need to match the setting correctly to minimally strain your eyes.
What Kind of Light Do You Use For Night Reading?
You should use soft light if you prefer to read at night. Bright white tones simulate the sun and are too harsh for evening light.
What Can I Use As A Book Light?
13 Most effective reading light apps from 2022. EBooks – Lighting. Flashlights. The reading light is used as a bed light. Tiny lights + LEDs. Display lights/lamping. lighting screen lights table lights calming sound night floods flashing light.
What is the best reading light for sensitive eyes?
What makes cold white so beautiful? A: Good eye care is essential when using reading lights, especially during night, when the eyes feel sensitive. Warm white is a good choice for eyes because its relaxing properties are less than that of cold white.
How bright should a reading light be?
A typical 450 lumens can suffice to read, write and perform any work of all types, but it remains at least 500 lumens. In complex tasks, 800-1100 lumens are required at full charge. The lamp must have a minimum of 600 lumens for office lighting.
What are the different types of reading light?
There are four primary book lighting categories currently used: neck, rechargeable book light, amber book light, ClipOn Booklight and Book light for kids.
What type of light is best for reading in bed?
DEWENWILS Amber Book reading lights There are 4 brightness settings—55 percent amber – no white light 60 percent warm white – 50 percent amber.
What LED light is best for reading?
The Lighting Research Center found that reading under warm white LED scored more in reading comprehension tests than those under dark white LED. This is important because it may mean passing exams or not passing.
Is LED lamp good for reading?
Yes, LED lighting can be helpful in studying as compared to other types of lighting. LED light bulbs come in various colors.
What is the best light for reading in the dark?
What is a good light for books to read?
What is the best color light for reading books?
The amber light or red light lamp is made of amber or red to block light. But for readers who read on LED-emitted devices like smartphones and tablets, it is important to wear blue-light-blocking glasses.